Monday, 29 December 2014

New Year's Resolutions...and chocolate.


THEY'RE not something I think about too much. New year's resolutions. But at this time of the year, not having a promise for the new year, is like being at a party and not having a party piece.
Because sure as anything, when everyone gets too tired to dance/drink/talk anymore, you'll always find some musical genius who produces a guitar or starts to tinkle a piano. Yes, I still find myself at those parties.
And just as the pressure is on to warble a chorus of something, so too, around this time, must you have a new year's resolution.
The thing about new year's resolutions is that they are either wonderfully positive or incredibly negative. Either you're going to start training for that marathon, travel to Australia to see that long-lost friend you haven't seen for 20 years, or (whisper it) tidy your house. Or you're going to give something up. Drink, ciggies, coffee, yelling at your kids. Ahem. 
Thanks to a friend who always had coffee in the pot (but had to hunt for teabags!) I have long been a bit of a caffeine addict. Nothing ridiculous, you understand. Two cups a day is my limit. Lightweight that I am.
And life without my daily, relatively harmless fix, would be a bit miserable. So, that stays.
Chocolate however, is a whole other matter.
It's something I take very seriously in life. Let's face it, most women do. Yes, I know. Men love chocolate too. As do children of both sexes. But based on cold, scientific research, (nearly all my women friends love chocolate), I conclude that we have a special relationship with it.
Happily, I am also very fussy about my chocolate. These days, I would rather have a tiny taste of the excellent, cocoa-rich stuff, than any amount of the cheap, sugary stuff of my childhood. Which is all good, right?
Well, it was until yesterday. When somebody who'd been given one of those useless-facts-you-never-wanted-to-know kind of books for Christmas, delighted in telling me that there are ON AVERAGE, EIGHT INSECT LEGS IN EVERY BAR OF CHOCOLATE.
I know! I know! But it's true. I didn't want to believe them. I looked it up. Apparently, it's been common knowledge for years. It's just that, well, people don't talk about it.
And yes, given how food is grown and processed, there are probably bugs in all our food. And just like the ones in chocolate, they are obviously harmless. Because I've been eating the stuff forever, and I'm fine. Really.
So, I've decided. I'm NOT going to give up chocolate in 2015. It's one of life's little pleasures. And like most things, perfect if consumed in moderation.
But from today, it'll have to also count as protein...
And I still don't have a new year's resolution yet.

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I agree about chocolate. Good quality stuff in moderation.

    I don't believe in New Year Resolutions. Why wait until the start of a new year to make a change in one's life? If it's important, there's no reason to put it off.

    I'm a goal-setter. They give me something to reach for. Sometimes they mean a lifestyle change, sometimes a behavioral change. I find resolutions are too intimidating, like I'm setting myself up for failure. It's like saying my resolution is to lose 100 pounds in 2015, knowing I'll most probably never do it. But if I set goals, like eating healthier and being more active, I know those are achievable (especially when the weather is good), and that because I'm eating better and getting away from the desk that the weight will come off naturally. Otherwise I just focus on the food I'm not allowed to have rather than the fun I could be having out with my dogs.

    Resolutions are like writer's block. I don't believe in those either! ;-)

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, Kem! Glad to hear somebody else doesn't really believe in new year resolutions. They always seem like mountains, and I prefer small hills. Ones I can climb every day.
      x

      Delete