Monday, 8 February 2016

Guest Author Ellie Gray


Morning all,
As my regular, fortnightly column will go live next Monday, I'm delighted instead to welcome another writer to my blog this week, to mark my first guest post of the year.
Ellie Gray is a debut author with Tirgearr Publishing and will be published this month.
Over to you, Ellie.

So. I’m new to this writing thing. Well, when I say new, I don’t really mean new because I’ve been writing off and on for nearly twenty years. I guess what I mean to say is that I’m new to this ‘having a publishing contract and now it’s all very real and I need to work hard to try and get people interested enough to buy my book’ thing. 
         I love writing. Most of all, I love writing contemporary romance stories where I can really explore the emotional aspect of falling in love, with all the wonderful, scary, painful and joyful feelings that go with it. I try and write characters that my readers can identify with and put them in realistic situations that perhaps the readers have experienced themselves. 
         But, back to the newness of having a publishing contract. Oh, it’s wonderful and exciting and scary and worrying all at once. The last year has seen me taking a much more business-like approach to my writing, having previously been concentrating on bringing up a family, working full-time and generally dealing with what life had to throw at me (as many writers do, I know). Over Christmas last year, I decided that I needed to stop faffing around and concentrate on giving this year a good shot at achieving my dream. And it worked!
        So, here I am with my debut novel due for release. I’ve worked hard to make it as good as it can be and it’s now out there; out in the real world, waiting for readers to fall in love with it (hopefully). But this is where all the panic and worry really sets in. As the author, I need to promote and market my book as well as I can to try and reach as many readers as I can. But how do I do this? Where’s the instruction manual? I’ve read articles and blogs about how to market and promote your book and they are all fabulously useful but really quite vague too. Lots of advice about not posting link after link shouting ‘buy my book’ on Facebook and Twitter. I need to engage with my readers. But how? How do I get the readers to engage with me? Post about things you know, they say. But like what? I’m scouring other romantic novelist’s tweets and Facebook posts for clues as to what it is I could possibly say that is new and interesting.
       So, here I am on Sharon’s lovely blog as a guest post (thank you so much for the invite, Sharon) - getting myself out there and looking to engage with readers and other authors. I also have various interviews, book readings and virtual book tours planned so, if you see me along the way, give me a cheery wave and a friendly smile.  Here I go – wish me luck.

Beauty and the Recluse will be published February 12, 2016 and is now available for pre-order.

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ELLIE:
Website:  https://elliegrayauthor.wordpress.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elliegrayauthor
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/elliegray58

Buy Links:
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1TNIqM7
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/20QCx2C
All Buy Links: http://www.tirgearrpublishing.com/authors/Gray_Ellie/beauty-and-the-recluse.htm

Thank you, Ellie and I wish you lots of success with your debut.
My regular column is back next Monday.
Until then, have a lovely week,
Hugs & xx,
Sharon.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie,
    This is a really insightful post and one that we can all identify with. You are not alone with marketing and promoting. It is difficult and it takes time to build up a readership. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there. Looking forward to downloading a copy of Beauty and the Recluse. all the best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, thanks so much for your comments and support.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Cathy. It is daunting to be a debut author, and just starting out, trying to get people to notice your work. Happily, we all make new friends along the way, don't we? It becomes a bit easier after that, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sharon - I've already found the writing community to be incredibly friendly and supportive. I'm looking forward to engaging with readers as well.

      Delete