Monday, 2 May 2016

*Guest author Melanie Robertson-King.*


GOOD morning everyone, and happy Monday.

MY GUEST author this month is Canadian writer Melanie Robertson-King.
I first met Melanie through Facebook, when she very kindly agreed to throw a Facebook party for me on St Patrick's Day 2015, where we chatted about my debut - and tons of other things.
Melanie knows how to throw a party!
I hope you'll all feel free to chat to her here today - and to share details of her latest novel via the social media links at the bottom of the page.
I'll be back next week, to start a blog tour. In the meantime, I'll hand over to Melanie.

Thank you for reading,
Hugs & xx
Sharon.
*



Hi Sharon. Thanks so much for inviting me to your blog to talk about my latest book. Before I show off the cover, let me tell you a bit about it. The house actually exists. I first laid eyes on it in 1993 when I went on a school trip with my son to Quebec City. From that initial sighting until now, that image has played in my mind.


 The book began as my NaNoWriMo project last November. I wasn’t out to achieve the 50,000 words in the month, but to use it as an exercise in discipline to get me writing each and every day. It worked. When I finished, the book came in at about 44,000 words – about twice as many as I thought it would.

 In November 2014, my husband and I returned to Quebec City for a vacation and on our last day before coming home, we drove out to the house so I could take more pictures. I like the black and white effect but decided there needed to be something more, so I found a stock photo of a full moon and cloudy sky and layered them together.

So I had the cover image. I had the story. I didn’t have a title so I ran a contest on my blog during the month of March. In the end, 23 people came up with 109 suggestions to choose from! In the end, I whittled it down to 2 and the only way I could decide was to see which one I liked best with the cover image.

 

And here is the finished product.

 


Blurb:


Sometimes there’s more to a house than bricks and mortar.

Hillcrest House is one such place. Perched on a cliff in the picturesque town of Angel Falls, there is more to this Victorian mansion than meets the eye. When referring to the house, the locals use the word haunted on a regular basis. Strange visions appear in the windows, especially the second-floor ones over the side porch. Even stranger events take place within its four walls.

Rumour has it, the original owners, Asher and Maggie Hargrave, never left their beloved home. They claim the couple and their family are responsible for driving people away. Over the years, Hillcrest House has changed hands numerous times. No one stays long. Renovations begin then stop and the house is once more abandoned. The latest in this long line of owners is Jessica Maitland.

Will Jessica be the next one to succumb or will she unravel The Secret of Hillcrest House?
                                                                                *

 Melanie Robertson-King's latest novel serves up a delightful blend of the supernatural and spicy romance, Lynn L. Clark, author of The Home Child, and Fire Whisperer & Circle of Souls: Two Novellas of the Supernatural, & The Accusers

Intrigue, dark buried secrets, hot romance and a neat twist in the tale make this riveting reading, Sheryl Browne, MA Creative Writing, Choc Lit Author

A fun read that keeps you guessing right up to the surprise ending, Dayna Leigh Cheser, Author of Janelle's Time, Moria's Time, Adelle's Time, & Logan's Time

 
Find Melanie's latest book:


About the author

 

Melanie Robertson-King lives in Eastern Ontario, Canada, within sight of the St. Lawrence River. She has always been a fan of the written word. Growing up as an only child, her face was almost always buried in a book from the time she could read. Her father was one of the thousands of Home Children sent to Canada through the auspices of The Orphan Homes of Scotland, and she has been fortunate to be able to visit her father’s homeland many times and even met the Princess Royal (Princess Anne) at the orphanage where he was raised.

 
Find Melanie:

 
Website:  www.melanierobertson-king.com

 
Celtic Connexions Blog:  www.melanierobertson-king.com/wp02/

 
Facebook Author Page: Melanie Robertson-King Author

 
Twitter:  @RobertsoKing
*************************


 

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me here today, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, it's lovely to have you here. Long overdue, in fact. Your new novel looks fantastic. I know you hosted a hugely successful competition on your blog, for the name. How many suggestions did you get in the end?

      Delete
    2. 23 participants and they came up with 109 suggestions.

      Delete
    3. That's some cover, Melanie. And some spooky house. Loved the way you selected your title!

      Delete
    4. Hi Maybelle,

      Nice meeting you here. I love that house. If only I had the money to buy it.

      The contest for the title was a lot of fun and different.

      Delete
  2. Really nice getting to know about you and your work, Melanie. Good luck with everything! Domhnall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderfully creepy book! Best of luck with it, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds fascinating. And it's intriguing to see that you're inspired by NaNoWriMo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. The photo of the house has been calling to me for a long time and I thought NaNoWriMo was the perfect time to write the story. And it got me writing every day, which was an added bonus.

      Delete
  5. Melanie, I love it when a place is like a character in the story. I love your cover, and your book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone who took the time to drop by and comment today. I'd like to wish Melanie lots of sales and lots of happy readers! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. You have a great week, too!

      Delete
  7. A great interview and read, thanks, Sharon for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melanie, I enjoyed your post and really like your cover. It was a clever idea go engage readers via Facebook to come up with titles. Now you have 108 additional titles for all those books to come. Great job, wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melanie, Love the cover. It was very clever to engage readers from Facebook to help select your title. Now you have 108 new titles for all those books to come. Great job, keep writing.
    Aleigha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how the contest would turn out when I first came up with the idea. Then the suggestions started rolling in. Plenty of title ideas to choose from for upcoming books.

      Delete
  10. cool cover. I like that house. reminds me of one near where I used to live in Jamaica Plain, in Boston. I can imagine having a writing nook up in the tower!
    good luck
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Victorian architecture. The houses have such wonderful character. I, too, could imagine a writing nook in the tower.

      Delete